Tofino Nature Kids Currently has the following positions available.
*2 positions available*
Position: Summer Assistant Facilitator
Type: summer job
Organization: Tofino Nature Kids
Location: Tofino, British Columbia
Tofino Nature Kids is an outdoor learning program with summer camps serving ages 3 - 12 in Tofino, BC. Our program incorporates elements from the Forest School model, Waldorf Education and the 8 Shields model of mentoring. We provide a variety of opportunities for children to explore and develop deeper connections with the natural world, each other and themselves.
RESPONSIBILITIES: This role focuses on collaborative facilitation of a curriculum that models respect and deep nature connection. Assistant facilitators will be expected to bring and contribute to daily activities including morning and closing circles, nature stories and songs, games, organized activities (crafts and survival skills) and free play on the beach and in the forest while ensuring safety and inclusion of all children. The skills the children are learning are passed on through role-modeling and one-on-one guidance. Assistant facilitators will be expected to help with setup and cleanup as well as keeping children’s belongings and school materials organized and in good condition through the day.
Due to funding restrictions, applicants must be between 15 and 30 years old and be a Canadian Citizen.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS:
• Must have current certification in First Aid and CPR and criminal record check
• MUST HAVE local accommodation and driver’s license / use of a vehicle to travel to camp locations
• Must have experience leading groups of children ages 3 - 12
• Demonstrate good judgment and discernment
• Have good communication skills, ability to work as part of a team, and ability to communicate effectively with children, parents and staff
• Be dedicated to professionalism – on time, ready to go, clean appearance, timely response to phone and email communications and uphold agreements
• Uphold Tofino Nature Kids Policies and respect other users of outdoor common areas
• Demonstrate experience and comfort with being outdoors all day
PREFERRED SKILLS / EXPERIENCE:
• Experience with the Forest School model and Coyote Mentoring method or equivalent
• Strong survival skills and knowledge of Pacific Northwest flora and fauna
• Bilingual French and English
• Bronze Cross Lifesaving Certificate
DATES and HOURS:
Summer Season Dates: July 2nd – September 1st
*Required one day summer training session between June 28th - July 1st in Tofino.
Tofino Nature Kids summer programs run 9:30-2:30, Monday to Friday. Position hours may vary weekly (25 - 35 hours/week)
• Be a part of an amazing team of people doing incredible work!
• Hanging out on a beautiful beach everyday!
• Stat holidays off
TO APPLY: Email a complete application package including cover letter and resume with references to:
Application deadline: June 10th
Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
For more information contact: